R-E-S-P-E-C-T (Just a little bit. . .)

Happy 2018! May all of your days be filled with the love of God.

Over my holiday break, I've been blessed to be able to see many friends and family members. It's really wonderful to see loved ones we haven't been able to spend much time with over the past several months or even years. Watching the growth and development of the children is especially fascinating. Some of them have literally doubled in size and really "grown into themselves." I guess what I mean is that they have their own personalities and interests that define them and make them who they are.

With that being said, have you ever people-watched at gatherings and come away wondering, "Why don't kids have any respect for authority??" Please tell me I'm not the only one. Look, I know I'm getting older and all, but PL-EEEEEZ, please assure me that you know where I'm coming from. I'm noticing it as a matter of course in just about any situation. It's pretty common in parent-child relationships, teacher-student relationships, and just adult-child relationships in general. I'm fairly certain that many, if not most, children these days don't care to whom they're responding, because I notice that their responses are always the same- disrespectful.

1. WHERE'S THE RESPECT?


I mean, when kids call everyone in the house a name, no matter their age; throw a huge ball of Play-dough directly at an adult's chest (not as a joke;) bang on Grandma's door with broom handles continuously for no apparent reason until made to stop; or give excuses for running through the church halls instead of coming to Sunday school class, I THINK we might admit that something needs to be done. This is NOT one child-- these are several children and all these things happened within the last week in three different states.

As the mother of half-grown kids and the writer of a growing parenting blog, I'd love to think that my immediate family is exempt from this horrifying issue. HA! Just when I think I've learned all of my lessons and I've got it ALL FIGURED OUT, God starts laughing. Hy-ster-i-cally. Ask who cried and was basically depressed for hours after a confrontation within my own family recently. Yep. Thankfully, I realized that God was saying, "Wake up. Here's your chance to respond correctly. Here's your chance to do better. It's not the end of the world," and "I love you."

So why are our kids responding this way?


Let's look at just one obvious example. Let's do it. Let's talk about the presidency. Okay, NO, I DO NOT want to get into politics. That's way too exhausting! But let's look at the office of the presidency for a minute.

2. RESPECT FOR WHOM?


It is definitely fair to say that I have not supported all or even most of the presidential candidates, who eventually became presidents, in the last 30 years in which I've been qualified to vote. I suppose I've only voted for two of the men who eventually held the office. Those odds ain't so great, Ethyl. And what have I done when "my candidate" lost? What have I said about the man who did win the office? Ummmmmmmm. . . (crickets.) The point is, I haven't always been respectful. Okay, I have many times been DISrespectful.


I mean, didn't I have a right to say negative things when obviously he was making DUMB decisions and laws that were just going to lead this country down the toilet?!?! I've got kids to think about! What about their future? I want great things for them. My husband and I have worked very hard so that they can have wonderful futures, and I don't wanna see this idiot ruin it. (Oops. Did I say. . .)

So why are my kids responding the way they do?


Monkey see. Monkey do. Errrr- children see. Children do.

3. RESPECTING GOD'S AUTHORITIES

Is this really a big deal? What's wrong with stating the obvious? Well, interestingly enough. Disparaging those in authority actually IS WRONG. Let's see why. In Romans chapter 13, after Paul explains how the Romans should love one another and treat each other with kindness, EVEN their ENEMIES, he says this:

1 "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." Romans 13:1-7


Whoa. God has established the governing authorities.

Can this be real?
Where's the loophole?
Is this passage for us or only for the Romans at that time?
Maybe it's just for the Christians living under the Roman rule. Surely we aren't commanded to respect and honor those yahoos up in Washington!

Okay then. What about THIS?

4. RESPECTING GOD AS THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY

Remember in Daniel chapter 4, when we read about the Israelites, God's chosen people, being captives to the great Babylonian Empire in fulfillment of prophecy. Nebuchadnezzar, the greatest Babylonian king, was in power at the time. He had conquered the Assyrians as well as the Israelites and his kingdom was very large, powerful and rich. Nebuchadnezzar of course was a polytheist. He served many gods as did the Babylonian people. Daniel and his friends brought the one true God, Yahweh, to Nebuchadnezzar's attention through their incredible understanding and wisdom, interpretations of dreams, survival of a flaming furnace, etc. This king was by no means a model of good. He followed whichever "god" was advantageous to him at the time. But God did speak to him in dreams, probably because he was ruling over His beloved people.

In Daniel chapter 4, God sends Nebuchadnezzar a message through a holy one from heaven in a dream. God is revealing the future of the king and of His people. And THIS IS WHY. LOOK!

17 “‘The decision is announced by messengers, the holy ones declare the verdict, so that the living may know that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of people.’" Dan. 4:17


25 "Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes." Daniel 4:25b


32 "Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes.” Daniel 4:32b




THREE times friends! Three times in one chapter God plainly states through his messengers that GOD IS SOVEREIGN over all the kingdoms on earth and gives them to ANYONE HE WISHES. God put Nebuchadnezzar, a polytheistic, pompous man, in charge of the mighty kingdom of Babylon and over his OWN PEOPLE. Why? Because HE IS SOVEREIGN. It is part of HIS PLAN.

Look what a changed Nebuchadnezzar said of Yahweh. After being stricken with insanity for a time in order to humble him, because he took God's credit for the success of Babylon, the king said this:

"Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.

His dominion is an eternal dominion;
his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
35 All the peoples of the earth
are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
with the powers of heaven
and the peoples of the earth.

No one can hold back his hand
or say to him: “What have you done?” 

37 "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble."

Daniel 4:34b-35, 37

Wow! Just wow.

Who is in control of the kingdoms of the earth? God.
Who puts the governing authorities in charge? God.
What authority has been established apart from God? None.
Are all of God's ways right and just? Yes
Am I to submit to authorities that God has chosen? Yes.
Can God humble me if I forget his sovereignty? Yes

Why? Because it's not about ME. It's about GOD. 

At best I might see one gazillionth of God's puzzle that He is carefully, deliberately, and lovingly piecing together. HOW DARE I think that I have better answers and solutions than GOD? How dare I wring my hands and wonder "what's to become of us?" I should be rejoicing to be his vassal! I should be his humble servant whatever my circumstances and no matter whom he has chosen as the current governing authority. I should rest knowing HE IS SOVEREIGN, RIGHT, AND JUST. I should respect His authority.

So why are our kids responding the way that they do?


Do our children know who our authority is?
Do they know that He is right and just in all of His ways?
Do they know that He has given us authority over our children?
Are we being humble in the position with which He has provided us?
What kind of example are we setting in regards to the governing authorities? Others in authority?
Do we expect respect from our children? Do we teach it? Do we live it?
Do we correct disrespect?
Are we willing to take measures to humble our children so that they can praise God for his sovereign authority?

As parents, let's not cry, give up, pout, or complain that our children are not showing respect. 

Let's get up, smile, praise God, correct, submit to His chosen authorities as well as His ultimate authority, and show them how it's done!





"Ascribe to the LORD the glory due to His name; Worship the LORD in holy array." Psalm 29:2




Comments

Popular Posts